Saturday, May 3, 2008

The resurrection is nigh...

I'll admit it: I went soft this summer, taking the easy path and doing all of my mountain bike riding on a fully suspended geared bike. Although I flirted with the single speed thing late last year (briefly), technology lured me back to the "all the bells and whistles" fold. I'm not ashamed of that; even on my light and speedy Turner I was still coming home completely fucked from the mammoth suffer fests that Carl calls bike rides.

If any of you were wondering about what happened to the plans to ride the Surly off-road, that modification didn't last out the week - that bike's place really is on the streets, and it just feels strange setting it up any other way. Ho-hum. In the end I wasn't too beat up about not making it to the nationals; I still hadn't shaken a chest infection I'd picked up a few weeks before, and the SSSS was well represented by Bretto showing up on his crazy single-cross bike.

The need to faff with all of my bikes, complete and otherwise, combined with fond (and probably inaccurate) memories of my summer of single speeding glory in 2006 on this bike, has driven me to pull out the old Stumpy hardtail again for a makeover. Pictures to come soon, but for now I can reveal that this bike will be bringing the pain (and exorcising some of my softness) fully-rigid style; the cro-mo fork's just been fitted and the rest is nearing completion...

No comments: